Sunday, August 21, 2011

So What's Getting Me Through? Post America Edition


Previously I wrote about successfully avoiding the Post America Hangover due to a exhausting schedule of camp, meetings, and delicious food. It was difficult to get depressed when leading 35 kids through and obstacle course, talking with the ministry about an upcoming training, or preparing my first batch of homemade peanut butter.

However, there were a few other things that really helped in this immediate adjustment period. So, in honor of avoiding the post-america hangover, welcome to 'So What's Getting Me Through? Post America Edition'.

1) Yoga, lots of yoga. This week I started practicing with my site mate Glendene who is a much more practiced yogi than I. Not only does she have a greater bank of knowledge to share with me, but practicing with her means I'm doing daily 60 or 90 minute practices. In edition to some DVDs we're using yogaglo, which I highly recommend for any of you yogis away from a studio. 18 bucks a month for a huge online library of classes with outstanding teachers.

2) The Weeknd and Big K.R.I.T. This week was seriously helped by the fact that I was able to soundtrack it with two new mix tapes from two of the best new artists of 2011. Earlier this year The Weeknd released contender for best album of the year 'House of Balloons' and 'Thursday' continues an exceptional tradition of sexy and dangerous dubstep infused r&b. Big K.R.I.T. is the freshest voice this year in conscious hip-hop and 'Last King 2-God's Machine' continues with great beats, rapid fire flow, and awesome guests.

3) The Best of Roald Dahl. What do you do when you arrive buzzed and bleary eyed to the Peace Corps Lounge after 30 hours of traveling on almost no sleep? Comb through the library for hidden gems. But never, ever do you expect to find this, an infinitely readable and entertaining collection of Roald Dahl's short stories, most of which you've never read before. By the way, if you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and read the 'The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar'.

The Weeknd - Lonely Star

Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva and a Day

No comments:

Post a Comment