Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 10: Escape to LA

We woke up to the sound of cars peeling out. It was early, but groggily we emerged from our tent to begin considering the day. While getting my yoga mat, I'm struck with how bad I must smell due to the flies surrounding me. I share with Margaret that a shower will be a relief for me and my ego and she informs me its not just me. At this point I realize there are flies surrounding her as well, in fact, there are flies everywhere. We break camp in 20 minutes, faster than ever, to get out of the Den of Flies.

Margaret was able to use her mighty PriceLine abilities (seriously, they're incredible) to get us a room at the incredible Hotel Bonaventure, a beautiful 4 star in downtown LA featured in Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and Logan's Run. This hotel was space age, a cylinder surrounded by four circular towers which in turn were surrounded by 3 glass elevators apiece that shot up for spectacular views of the city.

Refreshed we piled back into the car in search of food and beach. We devoured some awesome Carribian food before heading down to the Venice Beach Boardwalk, gawking at street performers, crazies, exhibitionists on Muscle Beach, and an American Apparel factory outlet store. We walked up to a woman sitting out on the beach in hopes of socializing her three 8 week old puppies. The next hour was spent on the ground paralyzed with laughter as ferocious puppies licked our faces and brought our ears into submission.

That night we met up with Alex in the hip and trendy part of LA and headed to Malo, a grommet taco and tequila bar. I gorged on tacos like ceviche lime and barbacoa pickle while drinking tequila and Tecate, while Animal Collective played on repeat. Walking back towards Alex's, we dropped into 4100, a quiet bar with heavy draped curtains, buddha statues, and lots of candles. Nick and MD met back up with us here and drove us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment