Thursday, December 16, 2010

Time for the Year End Roundup..

Every December I look forward to the coming end of the year, not because of Christmas or New Years' Parties, or because of a new year's resolutions or goals. No, I look forward to the approaching end because we are flooded with Year End lists for music. For the lazy person, one could easily keep in the know (at least, within the year) simply by going to a few sites.

As of now, I'm most impressed with the behemoth Matthew Perpetua put together at Fluxblog, an 8 disc survey of the best of 2010. Its not ranked but simply broken into 8 segments. It provides an outstanding review of 2010 including great songs regardless of mass appeal or cult following. Download it here.

Pitchfork's annual tradition of Top 100 tracks of the year has, over time, become an emblem of pride for artists listed. Keeping with the P4K elitism, its ranked, and I am always rooting for certain songs to be ranked higher than others. Check it out here (still looking for download UPDATE: torrent it here)

So with the flurry of year end music writing, I figured I needed to get my list out before it was contaminated by all the other great lists out there. Below is my unranked 21 track listing for 2010. Certain artists (Robyn, Kanye, LCD) could have easily been represented even more, but I chose to limit it a little.

Download it HERE

1) Vampire Weekend - Giving Up the Gun
2) Cee Lo Green - Fuck You
3) Big Boi - Back Up Plan
4) Robyn - Dancing On My Own
5) The-Dream - F.I.L.A.
6) Caribou - Kaili
7) Kanye West ft/Bon Iver - Lost In the World
8) Gil Scott-Heron - New York is Killing Me
9) LCD Soundsystem - I Can Change
10) Drake - Karaoke
11) Four Tet - Angel Echoes
12) Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
13) Nicki Minaj - Girls Fall Like Dominoes
14) Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em
15) No Age - Glitter
16) Justin Bieber ft/Ludacris - Baby
17) Kanye West ft/Dwele - POWER
18) Antoine Dodson & The Gregory Brother ft/Kelly Dodson - Bedroom Intruder
19) Clipse - There Was a Murder
20) Free Energy - Free Energy
21) HEALTH - USA Boys

And, my Top 6 Albums of 2010, in no particular order:

Robyn - Body Talk
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
The-Dream - Love King
Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here

And for those who want to know, the song I listened to the most in 2010…Party in the U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus. Lord, that wasn't even released this year..

3 comments:

  1. Nick Mc and the Rabid TickDecember 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM

    One 2010 album that I knew I would like but ended up loving was Devo's "Something for Everybody". The closing track, "March On," is easily my favorite cut, but overall it's a really solid album

    ReplyDelete
  2. vampire weekend is your NUMBER ONE track of the year?!?! who are you??

    ReplyDelete
  3. md: as the post said, it is my 'unranked 21 track listing'

    ReplyDelete