Saturday, June 18, 2011

Good 'ol American Music

This past week had some interesting events contained within. My clubs started this past week, which was a relief to get that first day over. I also met with the Minishter of Education and the Methodist (responsible for the region's English curriculum) to clarify my role as a volunteer and not just a free teacher. That went well and already promises to lead to some great possibilities (like attending the Methodist's birthday party-booyah). There were also some other, more dramatic events, which I'll leave for the blog as I don't want these emails to become 'Josh's Sad Pants Hour'.

One thing that was unexpectedly awesome was a concert which I had begrudgingly committed to attending on Thursday. Now concerts in Azerbaijan are a dime a dozen, and for a jingoistic country with so many holidays no one knows what is actually being celebrated, or mourned, or remembered, there is an opportunity to attend one about twice a week. But in an act of 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' I committed I would be there.

I'm glad I did. Apparently this concert was funded by the American Embassy and it was startling to walk in and see four African Americans sitting on stage. They embassy had brought an American gospel band and they were in a room full of students from the music school, with their instruments, doing a cultural swap of musical ideas. It was really cool to watch.

Afterwards there was to be an outdoor concert, and during the time in between I got to speak with our new Cultural Attaché. I asked him about some of the events he's done and those coming up. As we were talking he happened to mention that he really wants to bring a hip-hop group out, and even try and sponsor a hip-hop festival. Barely keeping myself from salivating I asked him if he was big into hip-hop and he said not really and would love any help I could provide.

The outdoor concert was great and it was so nice to experience those things that I only now recognize as distinctly American. There was a 30 minute soundcheck. Before coming to Azerbaijan I've always thought they were annoying. After being here and listening to microphone scream and at least one speaker blow up every time a PA is used it has become welcome. Or crowd banter, everything is highly scripted in Azerbaijan, so hearing off-the-cuff crowd banter was nice. Or music I understood-that was a welcome feeling.

Anyways, overall it's been a nice introductory week to my summer work in Khachmaz. Next week will be a bit busier, but that will be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment