Sunday, September 4, 2011

Answers to Your Questions: Part 1


Based on last weeks email, many of you asked some follow up questions about Azerbaijan.  I'll answer the first half of them this week and the second half of them next week.

1) Q: Picture of the desk?
A: I'm still really pumped about this desk.  For as much time I spend at my computer writing and working it was hazardous to my health not to have a desk that would allow me to sit in a non-painful fashion.  Previously I was working at my coffee table on my couch, which meant hunching my back.  Anyway, here's a picture of my very standard height, proper posture encouraging desk.

















2) Q: Is 'azeri' a proper adjective, or is 'azerbaijani' the only correct form?
A: Azeri is a noun that refers to the Azerbaijani language, so you would say 'I speak Azeri'. In this case it is interchangeable with Azerbaijani.  Azeri also refers to a person's ethnicity, such as in the statement 'There are more Azeri people in Iran than Azerbaijan.'  Informally you can refer to the citizens of Azerbaijan under this term, but technically citizens of Azerbaijan are 'Azerbaijani'.

3) Q: Say I wanted to help an impoverished nation like Azerbaijan-what would be the best thing I could do? Any particularly good charities or nonprofits?
A: Not a bad question.  In general, Azerbaijan is not nearly as well organized as the United States and there is such a culture of corruption pervading this society that it is good to look on with a skeptical eye towards organizations soliciting donation in this country.

Many worthwhile international charities operate within Azerbaijan, such as Red Crescent and Amnesty International, and these are both be excellent organizations.  This is especially the case with Amnesty International due to the increased silencing of those brave individuals who are choosing to voice their opposition to the current government.  However, there is no guarantee that the funds you donate will actually benefit parties in Azerbaijan.

I also have recommendations for those who would like to see your dollars go to Azerbaijan peoples.  First is the Burnaby Blue Foundation, which provides safe and sanitary infrastructure for orphanages in need in Azerbaijan (and Kenya and Lesotho).  They focus on long-term effects and work on projects that are not so easily taken away (such buildings rather than toys).  Check them out here.

Additionally, I certainly want to recommend the Peace Corps Partnership Projects (or PCPP).  Basically, a volunteer submits an application for a small grant and, upon approval, the grant is publicized on the Peace Corps website, soliciting funds from the American Community.  I have observed immediate effects of these grants and currently participate in two (Azerbaijani Softball League and the Writing Olympics).  I highly recommend checking out open projects in Azerbaijan here.

Thanks for your questions and keep asking them.  I'll answer the rest next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment