Thursday, July 19, 2012

2012-7 Months In: Goal Update

Apparently, there is research indicating that those who talk about their goals are actually less likely to accomplish them than those who keep quiet.  I oscillate between this thought and the need to keep myself on track and accountable by making my projects known.  I think its useful to, at times, publicly review progress.

At the beginning of the year I wrote goals to accomplish in 2012.  This is my second check in.  What I've found has been most useful is seeing some goals gradually morph in how I'm actually judging them.  Its easy to write something down at the beginning, but its only through the process of doing and trying that you realize whether the goal is being evaluated in an intelligent way.  Goal 3 and 5 are good examples of this.

1) Establish my own wake-up time-Accomplished.  Over the past few months I've really been adamant about making my time most productive for me.  A side benefit of this has been that it has really solidified a great routine and wake-up time for me.  Pretty much every single day, I wake up at 8am now.


2) Focus on my hamstrings-In Progress.  Its difficult to have physical goals in yoga-your body will develop as it develops.  My hamstrings are still tight, thats the reality, and probably will be the reality for many years.  Its okay.

3) Practice yoga 5 hours a week-Accomplished.  So, I basically do practice yoga 5 hours a week (except when traveling).  But I've really shifted the focus of this goal to practice yoga 5 times a week.  Taking the emphasis off the amount of time, it allows me to keep the focus on what is important-which is the actual act of practicing.

4) Learn Turkish-Failed.  Yeah, I basically completely dropped this one.  The vacation came and went and I definitely did not learn Turkish.  I'm not bummed.

5) Prepare for effective job hunting-In Progress.  This is another goal that has really changed as the year has gone on.  More than preparing for effective job hunting, I'm more interested in preparing myself for income generation (which obviously includes jobs).  There are a few projects being worked on currently, and I'm excited to share whats developed when its ready.

6) Read the Brothers Karamazov-Accomplished.  Loved it.

7) Go to an Azerbaijani rap concert-Accomplished.

8) Buy a new iPhone and MacBook Air-Haven't Started.

9) Meditate daily-In Progress.  Right now I'm in a really good spot with this, I've meditated daily every day in July and see no reason why this will change.  I've even woken up early to accomplish this on certain busy days.  After a few more weeks I think I'll be ready to put this in the 'accomplished' column.

So there you have it.  Of the nine, four have already been accomplished, three are in progress, one I haven't started and one I've just outright failed at.  I'm pretty pleased with that.

How are you all coming with your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment