Saturday, September 8, 2012

Limited Success In Sheki

I've always joked that my success rate as a photographer is about 10%-of all the photos I take, only about 10% of them are actually worth editing and looking at.  When I go out and shoot, I definitely go for quantity over quality, trusting that if I cast a wide enough net, I'll chance upon some quality shots as well.

Normally this works pretty well for me, but unfortunately, on this last trip to Sheki, it completely backfired.  Sheki was overcast the entire time I was there and for most of the weekend it downpoured.  I didn't really take into account the lower light and as a result almost all of my photos after the first day came out grainy.

I also wasn't putting a lot of thought into the subject of pictures I was taking.  For example, there are no pictures of the Xan Saray, which is basically the main sight we saw on the first day.  I was so caught up in taking detail shots (which didn't really turn out) that I missed the big picture; I completely lost the forest for the trees.

However, though poor, it wasn't a total wash.  Below are the successes and though they are few in number I believe them to be well composed.  I especially love the slice of sky captured from beneath the Karavan Saray's roof as lights below struggle to illuminate the pressing darkness.

Outside the Sheki Handicrafts Museum as we approached the Xan Saray.  
This style of engraved wood lattice and cut, colored glass is featured prominently throughout the entire Xan Saray.  There are thousands and thousands of individual pieces that make up the windows in the old old palace. 
A view of the Upper Caucuses and a converted church, as we come down from the Xan Saray. 
Morning of the first Sheki Charity Run.  It is pouring torrential rain in the background.
A slice of sky from beneath overhang of the Karavan Saray.  This is one of my favorite pictures I've taken in Azerbaijan.

No comments:

Post a Comment