Sunday, February 20, 2011

What a Wild 21st Century World We Live In

There are a few things that I never conceived as being able to do while in the Peace Corps. Central among them is keep up, to some degree, my internet heavy lifestyle. The fact that having trouble with my wireless router is a point of frustration for me in Azerbaijan both shocks and awes me. Its a wonderful little post-modern snippet in our über globalized village. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I am thrilled this gets to be my case. I love the internet and I am so glad I get to use this incredibly powerful tool while on my extended overseas sojourn.

So what makes me choose to write of this now? As is usually the case-Radiohead. Radiohead released, and announced for those counting, a new album-'King of Limbs'. Its good, I hear a bit of Kid A in here, but I think its a bit mellower. But personally, I'm more immediately grabbed by 'Ravedeath 1972' by Tim Hecker, a beautiful piece of musical decomposition. Its similar in idea to the William Basinski's 'Disintegration Loops', but far more of an actual album with songs, rather than a neat concept with sound. On this album, the primary instrument-a church pipe organ-is morphed and battered, sanded and blasted, merging analogue and digital instrumentation into one. It has a dark and violent feel. I really like it.

The fact that I could even be writing this paragraph is weird to me. Both of these albums were released in the past 7 days and yet, here I am, typing these words out right after I took a dump in a squat toilet.

Other recently found digital gems:

Michael Pawlyn's inspiring and fascinating TED podcast on biomimicry gives me hope for the future

No comments:

Post a Comment