Monday, November 7, 2011

Landlady Update: Part 4


About a month or so ago I was making small talk with my landlady (because that's pretty much the only type of talk I can make with her) and casually mentioned I was probably going to move my bed away from the windows in the winter.  She didn't think it was a good idea, but I told her that if its too cold, I'm going to move it, so deal.

So, every visit since, she has remarked that I haven't moved the bed.  This isn't just an observation, its an inquisition, an accusation.  'Why haven't you moved the bed;' as if this was something I had promised her long ago and never followed through on: 'I've been waiting on this moved bed for years!'  Finally today, after a substantial bed-moving conversation, I laid it out straight for her.  'I haven't moved the bed yet because it isn't cold yet' I told her.  Then I mentioned 'Maybe I will move it and maybe I won't, I will decide in winter.'  Then to hammer in the point again I mentioned 'I have a friend who will help me move the bed, but I don't want to move it right now'.

At this point I kept talking saying that I absolutely have to go because I am now late for lesson.  I was literally telling her this as I shut the door so she couldn't bring up the darned bed again.

Well, I came home from school that day and find my room completely rearranged.  Not only was the bed moved from the windows, but the couch, the chairs, the buffet, all of my furniture had been moved in the room.  I was stunned and I still don't really have a clue how she did this.  These are heavy pieces of wood furniture, it takes a lot of strain to push and pull and grunt something into position, and she is certainly no spring chick.  There are two options: either she did this all herself, which is ridiculous, or she called in support, which is just as ridiculous since I adamantly told her I would do it myself.

On one level, I do appreciate this, I mean, I really was going to move the bed.  But its been a long time since I've had such a dramatic 'you're a single man, therefore you have no clue how to live in a house' experience.  Thank goodness my landlady is around to make sure I get through another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment