Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hip-Hop From the Land of Fire: A-Team - Arzularimi Qirma

A-Team's newest track just dropped last week.  The beats are simple and melody swept along by a flute and softly plucked guitar.  The result is soothing and familiar, something you've heard before but can't quite place where (actually, I do believe I've heard it before, and can't quite place where-help me out in the comments).  Its a refreshing break from the more aggressive rap cuts frequently produced here.  This is one of my favorite recent tracks.

There's also some pretty cool stuff going on with the track name.  'Arzularımı' technically translates as 'regards' conjuring up ideas of a Dear John letter.  But contained within this word is also 'I want' with 'arzularım' and 'wishes' with 'arzular'.  There's nostalgia and wistfulness at play here.  The word 'Qırma,' means 'a small shot' or 'bird shot,' but its also the command form of 'to break, to fracture' or more extreme 'to exterminate, to do great harm'.  The choice of these words indicates great pain and loss.  Depending on where we translate place the verb, we could translate this as 'Shotgun goodbyes,' 'Break down my wishes,' or 'Kill my desires'.

Props to rap100 on the find.

A-Track - Arzularımı Qırma

Previous Hip-Hop From the Land of Fire: Albay Ǝfǝndi - Sǝs Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment