Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy Day Off..err, I mean Women's Day!


Today is International Women's Day, something that the US doesn't celebrate but many other countries, such as Azerbaijan, do.  Its similar to our Mother's Day-lots of bright potted flowers for sale and pink boxes filled with chocolate.  But, there is one small detail which makes all the difference in the world: its a day off.  Yup, the 8th of March is an official holiday in Azerbaijan, and any reason that gives me a break from school is certainly a reason to celebrate, let alone one for such a worthy cause.

So, Qadımlar Bayramı Mubarǝk* to all those important women in my life.  To my counterpart Tamilla who is the best counterpart one could hope for in Azerbaijan.  To my site mates, Glendene, Lannea, and Kelsey who are hardworking in their service and fun to hang out with.  To my landlady, who thankfully has realized she has far more sense that I have.  To my Mom who appreciates the fact that my landlady has recognized this.  And to my friends and family, here and across timelines who are always there to support me and occasionally laugh at my jokes.

*Happy Women's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment