Sunday, March 4, 2012

Quick 'Happy March' Post


Its nice its finally March.  By this point everyone knows my feelings on February, but the fact of it actually being March is a big cognitive shift. Even if it snows, its just March snow, spring snow, the snow brought in with the lion that will soon leave like a lamb.  March is here, winter is over, my last winter in Azerbaijan is done.

And that feels very good.

As the drudgery of winter ends Volunteers around the country awake from our sleeping bag hibernations and begin to ready ourselves for project work.  Spring, just like in nature, is a season of renewal for us: softball practices begin next week and conversation clubs can resume in our heat-less schools.  There's enough sunshine to make us all feeling happy about this country again and projects laying dormant throughout the winter emerge again.

I'm also glad March is here for another reason.  During the spring holiday I'll be traveling with my parents and grandpa to Prague and Vienna. Basically, since January I've been saying its only a few weeks away, but now that I'm in March-its actually only a few weeks away.  I haven't seen family since August and I'm really glad to visit them (and the first world) again.

A couple random things:

1) Currently the Azerbaijan Youth Softball League is raising money for its grant.  I don't think I've promo'd a grant we're raising money for-I don't really like the idea of trolling for money, but this is a very large project and I really like that its given Khachmaz the ability to participate in softball tournaments with teams around the country.  This grant pays for our, and all the teams, travel to tournaments.  If you've been entertained by my softball emails, or simply think its hilarious that Josh is actually and willingly playing softball, consider donating a few dollars to the Peace Corps Partnership Grant HERE.

And you can find some softball photos HERE.

2) I've changed my blog to dedicate an page to Azerbaijani Hip-Hop.  Currently, I think I'm the only English speaking blogger of Azerbaijani Rap.  Oh yeah, I'm a total tastemaker.  Check it out above or HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment